Monday, December 20, 2010

17,19th Dec '10- My Red Lips Tell A Story









Why The women? Why the red lips, Why the bindis? All these questions I have to constantly figure and answer. When people see some of my work they see this feeling of shyness, timidity, self-consciousness that comes through but at the same time there is a hint of boldness, some sort of provocation, something that wants to breakthrough. And I see it too. Gauze, masking tape, lace all white pure, fragile, easily contaminated are the materials I’m interested in. When I work with these materials there is always a need to break out, to push over with red or a colour or be bold but in one streak. Not completely aggressive but you can see there is provocation and rebellion and non conformity. With this particular series of works I’m going to explore the relationship of mine with this contradiction between shyness and provocation that plays out in my work.


Ive been thinking about doing this shoot for awhile. But couldn't think of who to shoot and was slightly afraid it would look too scary. Well, this weekend i was out of town with friends and I had my camera, and some fabulous, amazing willing friends who were game for a 20 minute photo shoot. It all came together and I'm pleased with the results.

As this was an impromptu, flash shoot I dint get to explore too much but I know I want to continue this path. I have some more ideas and I will soon implement it and put it up.



No comments:

Post a Comment